- The department shall strive to keep at pace with ever evolving knowledge and cutting edge technologies by regular updating of curricula, research and development programs.
- The department shall produce trained Food Technologists to work in industry, institute and society, for overall growth of country.
- The Food Technology course has been framed to impart insight of food processing and preservation to meet industrial needs of Food Technologists.
- The course is interdisciplinary in nature with incorporation of subjects like food chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, food processing & preservation, chemical engineering and biotechnology.
- To make suitable and competitive food professional who will work in industry with confidence and contribute to the growth of industries for a healthy and safe nation.
- To motivate students to opt for higher studies in view of creating highly skilled human resources suitable for academia and industry.
- Food Processing laboratory for processing and product development, equipped with Radio-Frequency Dryer, Texutre Analyzer, Lovibond Colour Measurement (Spectrodensitometer), Fermenters (2 liter to 5 liter capacity), Freeze Dryer, Vaccum Dryer, Fluidized Bed Dryer, Baking Oven
- Food Analysis Laboratory is well equipped with sophisticated analysis facilities such as Texutre Analyzer, Lovibond Colour Measurement (Spectrodensitometer), Refrigerated Centrifuges (low and high speed), BOD Incubator, Shaker Incubator, Spectrophotometer, Cold Centrifuge, Moisture Meter, Laminar Air Flow
- Analysis of raw material and processed products
- Product development
- Shelf life and packaging studies
- Process optimisation
- Nutritional value determination
- Microbiological analysis
The Food Technology department was established in 1971 offering undergraduate B.Sc. Tech and postgraduate M. Tech course in Food Technology. The undergraduate B. Sc. Tech course was later restructured as B. Tech (Food Tech) in 1995 as per AICTE guidelines keeping all graduate programmes under 12+4 pattern. The curriculum of Food Technology is amalgamation of Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Microbiology and Food Science & Technology. The department has produced hundreds of food technologists who are working on National as well as International map.
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, GOI has recognized the Department as Centre for imparting training to stakeholder to FSSAI act – 2010.
The department is having well equipped analytical and food Processing laboratory to carry out analysis as per FSSAI and develop and prepare food products. Department was identified by Dept of Biotechnology, Govt. of India for the implementation of programme for “Strengthening of Food Biotechnology research and training in the area of Solid State Fermentation” during 1998-2003. Ministry of Food Processing Industry (MOFPI), Govt. of India had sanctioned Rs. 55 Lacs to carry out research on “Application of Radio Frequency heating for development of precooked shelf stable convenience foods” during 2005-2009.
The department is identified by IGNOU, New Delhi for its diploma course in ‘Value added Products from Fruit & Vegetables’ from January 2007 and Post Graduate diploma course in “Food safety and quality Management” from January 2010.